It’s been an Iowa tradition since 1926 and today this “BURGER” has a huge cult following!
Known simply as a “Tavern” or “Maid-Rite” these burgers are made with savory perfectly seasoned crumbly ground beef that spills out of a soft steamed bun and onto your plate.
Not quite a hamburger… Not quite a sloppy joe (NO TOMATO, KETCHUP or BBQ SAUCE PLEASE)
They are tangy, salty, umami flavor bombs served traditionally with mustard and pickles and they are ADDICTING. Serve with a spoon.
Also, do not be put off by the idea of crumbly seasoned ground beef as a “burger”…
When made correctly these are not dry and I can assure you CERTAINLY moist enough to concern your cardiologist.
- 3 pounds of 85/15 or 80/20 GROUND CHUCK OR BEEF (Uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon SOY SAUCE (use low sodium if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (do not skip)
- 2 tablespoons LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 1 tablespoon DRIED MINCED ONION
- 1 teaspoon of LOW SODIUM BEEF BASE or a BOUILLON CUBE (I use Better than Beef Bouillon REDUCED SODIUM)
- 1 teaspoon of LOW SODIUM CHICKEN BASE or a BOUILLON CUBE (I use Better than Roasted Chicken Bouillon REDUCED SODIUM)
- 1¼ cup of WARM WATER
- DILL PICKLE SLICES
- SOFT BUNS
- YELLOW MUSTARD (no Dijon)
- NO ketchup allowed on sandwiches
- Turn crock pot to high
- Add all ingredients except the ground beef and stir to combine.
- Add ground beef and stir until combined and all the beef is broken up into small pieces and completely coated
- Cook for 2 hours (see note) stirring occasionally to break meat up into small pieces
- Once meat is cooked completely uncover and continue to cook on high for another 2 hours with the lid off until most of the liquid has cooked off. Using a fork stir occasionally continuing to break up any large chunks of ground beef
- Serve using a slotted spoon onto a warm steamed bun and add mustard and pickles
2) NO ketchup allowed on sandwiches
3) Do not skip apple cider vinegar
4) Use a slotted spoon to serve
5) You can use LEAN ground beef if you prefer. It will be greasier if you use 80/20 but you can refrigerate overnight and skim the fat off the next day
6) WATCH THE SODIUM in this recipe as the amounts add up. Use low sodium bouillon base and low sodium soy sauce.
7) Each crock pot varies in heat and intensity. For 3 pounds of meat my crock pot takes 2 hours with the lid on to completely cook the ground beef. Yours may vary adjust accordingly.
Adapted from debbiesmidwesternkitchen