“I’ll have the 14 ounce Boneless Strip Steak please SEARED in a RIPPING HOT CAST IRON PAN slathered with compound butter dripping down across ALL ITS BEEFY TASTY WELL MARBLED GLORY!”
Is that the the steak you are looking for?
If so, The “PERFECT 5 STAR CHOP HOUSE STEAK” at home is just one recipe away!
The butcher shop in our area has been in business since 1913 and is thankfully still open!!
They only allow 5 people in the store at a time and you must wait in your car until it’s your turn.
We are only shopping every 10 days and I couldn’t resist picking up two steaks along with the usual ground beef and chicken and so here we are…
Ready to cook the PERFECT CAST IRON STEAK….AT HOME!
Cooking the PERFECT STEAK off the grill and on the stove is about 2 things…..
- TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE
- A SCREAMING HOT CAST IRON PAN
WHY THIS TECHNIQUE WORKS….
This technique relies on Preheating the CAST IRON PAN inside a 500 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
After the CAST IRON PAN is really hot we move to the top of the stove to medium high heat. Add vegetable oil (no Substitutions) to the hot pan and sear the outside of the steaks for 2 minutes on each side.
We then lower the heat to medium low and continue to “flip” the steaks over in 2 minute intervals building a nice crust on the outside while keeping the inside juicy and tender.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO GET STARTED:
- MUST USE A CAST IRON PAN
- MUST USE A PROFESSIONAL GRADE HEAT PROOF OVEN MITT SAFE UP TO 900 DEGREES F
- MUST BE CAREFUL OF THE BLAZING HOT HANDLE WHEN YOU REMOVE THE CAST IRON PAN FROM THE OVEN
- MUST USE A THICK CUT STEAK- Try for at least 1 1/2 inch. Ask your butcher to trim off the fat!
- MUST USE KOSHER SALT and bring the steaks to room temperature for 30 minutes. Just before you are ready to add them to the hot pan take a paper towel and dry both sides removing any surface moisture.
- MUST FLIP the steaks from side to side in 2 minute intervals using tongs
This technique works wonders with BURGERS and CHOPS too.
For BURGERS flip every 1 minute. Be sure to add a toasted bun!
IRON PANS DO COME IN HANDY….
KC and JK this one is for you!!! ENJOY 🙂
- 2 (1 pound) BONELESS STRIP STEAKS 1½ inch thick FAT TRIMMED
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (no substitutions)
- Salt steaks on both side and let come to room temperature for 30 minutes
- Place Cast Iron pan on middle rack inside oven and turn on oven and heat to 500 degrees
- When oven reaches 500 degrees using professional grade heat proof oven mitts (safe up to 900 degrees F) remove from oven and place over burner turned on to medium high heat. If you have a glass top stove check manufacturers instructions as to placing a hot pan on a cold glass top!
- BE CAREFUL OF THE SKILLET HANDLE AS IT WILL BE HOT
- Turn off oven
- Add 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (no substitutions please) to pan and heat until hot but NOT smoking
- Using a paper towel remove any excess surface moisture from the top of the steaks
- Add steaks to hot pan and do not move for 2 minutes while a crust forms
- Flip to other side and cook for another 2 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook flipping every 2 minutes until steaks are browned and reach temperature (see notes). It will be about 9 minutes for medium rare but see notes for chart
- Transfer steaks to a cutting board and top with butter and tent with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 7 minutes
Cook until steaks reach 135 degrees for medium
Do NOT use Olive oil. Use Vegetable Oil (no substitutions)
LOOKING TO GRILL OUT INSTEAD….
TRY THE CLASSIC AMERICAN BURGER