The mothership of SALSA has just landed!
We served this RESTAURANT STYLE SALSA a few weeks ago and folks will simply NOT stop asking for our Salsa secrets.
This salsa is definitely the best combination of flavors we have ever had in a Salsa and we can’t recommend it enough.
TIPS FOR PERFECT…
PULSE: We make this in our blender or food processor. We recommend that you pulse just a few times after each addition until you reach your desired consistency. You can blend it completely smooth or leave it a bit chunky if you prefer.
HEAT: Our version as written is SUPER SPICY! See the recipe notes to modify the heat.
CILANTRO: Easy does it! We recommend adding this last and in two additions. Taste your Cilantro before adding as it can sometimes have an off flavor.
5 GALLON DRUM OF SALSA: This recipe makes a VERY large batch of Salsa. You could make less but why would you want to?? We recommend a 12 cup food processor or process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together at the end.
ROTEL: Canned ROTEL comes in original, mild, hot, serrano and even low sodium! For our version we use 1 can of mild and 1 can of hot but feel free to adjust to your heat preference.
Ok go forth and conquer!
- 1 can (28 ounce) WHOLE TOMATOES with juice (add ½ juice to start and more if needed)
- 2 cans (10 ounce) ROTEL (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
- ½ medium white or yellow onion roughly chopped ONION
- 1 clove GARLIC, minced
- 1 whole JALAPENO, quartered and sliced thin WITH seeds (be sure to wash)
- 1 whole SERRANO, quartered and sliced thin WITH seeds (be sure to wash)
- ¼ teaspoon SALT
- ¼ teaspoon SUGAR (do not skip)
- Scant ¼ teaspoon ground CUMIN
- ½ cup CILANTRO (more to garnish)
- Juice of ½ LIME
- Combine 1 28 ounce can of tomatoes WITH juice, Rotel, Jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you reach your desired consistency.
- add Cilantro in two additions checking for taste as you go
- Refrigerate salsa for at least 30 minutes but preferably an hour
- SEE NOTES TO ADUST HEAT
2) For MILD heat use 1 jalapeno without seeds and two cans of MILD Rotel.
3) For MEDIUM heat use 1 jalapeno with seeds and two cans of MILD Rotel
4) For SUPER SPICY heat use 1 can of mild ROTEL and 1 can of HOT Rotel and 1 Jalapeno with seeds and 2 Serrano with seeds.
To avoid having watery salsa add ½ the juice from the can of whole tomatoes first and then add remaining if you need it to reach your desired consistency.