Pico De Gallo is a classic Mexican recipe made from fresh tomato, cilantro, onion and Jalapeno. This is the best salsa to top your enchiladas, burritos and chimichangas.
Originally I made this dish using the Pioneer Woman’s recipe which calls for 3 jalapenos for every 3 Roma tomatoes but over time I spiced it down a bit.
Here is what you need to know to make AUTHENTIC Pico de Gallo…..
- Use Roma tomatoes and remove seeds to keep the salsa from being watery. Your salsa will only be as good as your tomatoes! If they aren’t in season use a can of premium diced tomatoes and lower the amount of salt you add in at the end OR use low sodium tomatoes
- Use KEY LIMES vs regular limes. I promise you this will make a difference!
- Use a VIDALIA SWEET ONION and a bit of DICED GREEN ONION. This bumps up the flavor considerably. If your onion is strong then soak in lime juice or water for 10 minutes and drain before adding.
- ALWAYS taste your onion, cilantro and tomato BEFORE adding. You don’t want to chop for 15 minutes only to have your Salsa ruined by a terribly strong onion. Also, no red onions…White or Yellow only
- For a MILD SALSA use green peppers. If you want MEDIUM SALSA start with 1/2 a jalapeno for every 2 tomatoes and bump up from there. FEELING VERY SPICY? Go with a SERRANO pepper but remember….you can always add more pepper and increase the heat after tasting.
- Kosher Salt ONLY. I usually start with 1/4 a teaspoon and add more if needed.