Pico de gallo also known as FRESH SALSA is easy to make.
Here is what you need to know to make AUTHENTIC Pico de Gallo…..
- Use Roma tomatoes and remove seeds to keep the salsa from being watery. Your salsa will only be as good as your tomatoes! If they aren’t in season use a can of premium diced tomatoes and lower the amount of salt you add in at the end OR use low sodium tomatoes
- Use KEY LIMES vs regular limes
- Use a Vidalia SWEET onion AND a bit of diced green onion. This bumps up the flavor considerably. If your onion is strong then soak in lime juice or water for 10 minutes and drain before adding.
- ALWAYS taste your onion, cilantro and tomato BEFORE adding. You don’t want to chop for 15 minutes only to have your Salsa ruined by a terribly strong onion. Also, no red onions…White or Yellow only
- If you want a MILD SALSA use green peppers. If you want MEDIUM SALSA start with 1/2 a jalapeno for every 2 tomatoes and bump up from there. If you want a VERY SPICY SALSA use a SERRANO pepper. You can always add more pepper and increase the heat after tasting.
- Kosher Salt ONLY. I usually start with 1/4 a teaspoon and add more if needed.
I can also share how to make those tasty HOMEMADE TORTILLA CHIPS as well!!