There is NOTHING in this world like Grilled Mexican Street Corn! If you don’t have time for this, you really NEED to rethink summer priorities!
This is so simple and I was absolutely blown away by how good this tasted. We had several folks over on a hot summer day, just sat in the shade, and ate endless amounts of corn slathered in this spicy lime flavored sauce until…we just couldn’t move.
This was effortless entertaining at it’s finest. It was like eating at the state fair…and who doesn’t love fair food!
When it comes to corn, fresh picked is key, and you want to grill today what was picked this morning. We hit the farmers market, hand picked a dozen ears and headed home to grill. Our first step was to soak the corn in a sink full of cold water for about 30 minutes.
After the soak we grilled the corn over hot coals in the husk. Some folks pull back the husks and remove the silk and then fold the husk back into place before grilling, but we find this takes more effort than is truly needed.
It should only take about 10 to 15 minutes on the grill until the corn is completely steamed. While the corn is on the grill you can make the sauce. In a bowl mix the Mexican crema (zippy with more tang than sour cream) mayonnaise, cotija cheese, chili powder, garlic and cilantro. Let chill in the fridge for 10 minutes or so until the corn is ready.
Now for the fun part.…After the corn comes off the grill, slather the sauce evenly across the corn. Top that with extra crumbled Cotija cheese and chili powder then sprinkle with lime juice and serve immediately. This will be so messy and so worth it.
I promise you, this is summer living at it’s finest!
- 4 to 6 ears of fresh corn
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Mexican Crema (use sour cream if unable to find)
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- ½ teaspoon guajillo chili powder
- 1 medium clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- limes cut into wedges
- Soak ears of corn in cold water for 30 minutes (leave husk on)
- Grill corn over hot coals for 10 to 15 minutes or until steamed thoroughly
- FOR THE SAUCE
- Combine mayonnaise, Mexican Crema, Cotija cheese, chili powder, garlic and cilantro in bowl. Keep in refrigerator until corn is ready
- Use a wooden spoon to slather sauce over the ears of corn
- Top with additional Cotija cheese and chili powder and sprinkle with lime juice