This EASY PAN PIZZA has a crust that is chewy and soft with a crispy exterior!
No kneading or rolling of dough makes this a quick and easy way to have a NO FAIL homemade pizza.
We love Pizza… maybe not as much as some folks but we DO appreciate a good red sauce pie! Especially if it is an EASY PAN PIZZA made in a cast iron skillet.
This style of PIZZA is probably the most suited for a home oven because It doesn’t require much equipment and there is no need to knead!
This dough is designed to be quick and easy and as such the SAUCE and TOPPINGS are the star of the show.
If you don’t have a favorite pizza sauce recipe that you really really love then I would use a good quality jar sauce.
Also, this pizza was MADE for Sausage and Pepperoni toppings!
Meat lovers rejoice! Today is not the day for Margherita style.
You start this out by cooking the entire pizza on the stove top for 3 minutes. This helps the crust get a head start on the browning process.
The entire pan then goes straight from the stove top into a HOT HOT 500 DEGREE OVEN to bake for about 10 to 12 minutes.
When the pizza cools off you are ready to slice.
Remove pizza from pan and place on cutting board or wire rack. Listen for the crispy crust as you roll the pizza cutter through.
NOW THIS IS HOW PIZZA SHOULD BE….
TIPS FOR NEXT LEVEL PAN PIZZA:
- MEASURE THE FLOUR– Measure the flour using a kitchen scale or be sure to AERATE and use the SPOON AND SWEEP METHOD. Simply take a spoon and stir it around inside the bag of flour. Next using the spoon gently scoop flour out of the bag and add to measuring cup until it’s mounded above the rim. Finally, level off the excess flour with the back of a knife
- PRE-HEAT OVEN FOR A FULL HOUR– The best pizza’s are made in a HOT HOT OVEN. Allow oven to pre-heat for one full hour.
- USE A QUALITY JAR SAUCE– This pizza works best with a slightly sweet good quality red sauce and toppings!
OUR FAVORITE STYLE:
50/50 combination of two kinds of BOB EVANS SAUSAGE (ITALIAN STYLE IN GREEN PACKAGE) and (ZESTY HOT IN RED PACKAGE) with a SWEET PIZZA SAUCE (add red pepper flakes)
You must crumble, brown and fully cook the Sausage on top of the stove before adding to Pizza.
- 1½ CUPS BREAD FLOUR (7 OUNCES OR 198 GRAMS)
- ¼ TEASPOON YEAST (Active or Instant)
- ¾ TEASPOON SALT
- ¾ CUP HOT WATER (SEE BELOW FOR TEMP)
- 1 TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL for greasing the pan
- 4 OUNCES Shredded LOW MOISTURE PART SKIM MOZZARELLA (Do NOT use store bought pre-shredded as it will not melt)
- HOMEMADE SAUCE OR USE QUALITY STORE BOUGHT SAUCE
- ⅓ cup CRUSHED or GROUND TOMATOES (see notes for recommendation)
- Nice Glug or two of OLIVE OIL
- A very generous pinch of SUGAR to taste
- BASIL (optional)
- OREGANO (optional)
- COMBINE FLOUR, YEAST and SALT in a medium bowl and mix with rubber spatula
- ADD HOT TAP WATER (120-130 F) and combine well. The dough will be soft and wet.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand on counter for 3 hours
- After the rest the dough should be soft and puffy with bubbles and doubled in size.
- Sprinkle the dough with a small amount of flour and stir briefly until it forms a ball.
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet well with Olive Oil using your fingers. Make sure to cover the entire pan and the sides.
- With oiled fingers place dough in skillet, spreading close to the edge of the pan
- Cover with a lid and let rest for at least 1 hour but preferably 2
- Pre-heat your oven to the highest temperature (500 to 550 F)
- Add Sauce (1/3 of a cup) and your shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese (4 to 6 ounces) and any toppings.
- Cook on a stove top burner on medium high heat for 3 full minutes (This ensures the bottom of the crust is done)
- Immediately place in oven (middle rack) and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until done. Mine takes about 10 min but each stove is different.
- FOR SAUCE
- Place ⅓ cup ground or crushed tomatoes in bowl. Add a glug of Olive Oil and a generous pinch of sugar to taste. Taste the sauce before adding to Pizza to be sure you like the flavor.
The SAUCE and TOPPINGS are the star of this show.
USE a good quality store bought sauce that you like!
If you plan to top with uncooked vegetables (mushrooms, onions, peppers) then remove moisture using a microwave.
Place sliced uncooked vegetables between double paper towels between 2 plates and microwave for 1 minute.
To de-grease pepperoni same process but 30 seconds.
For my homemade sauce I use JERSEY fresh crushed tomatoes OR Pastene ground tomatoes (available on amazon).
Looking for THE BEST RED SAUCE for meatballs or pasta….