Want Chipotle Steak or Chicken at home?
We’ve got you covered with our copycat recipe.
Great for tacos, burrito’s or bowls and just like at Chipotle the same marinade is used for either the steak or chicken.
Also, one of the reasons Chipotle tastes so good is because it’s all made FRESH and SAME DAY.
This steak or chicken tastes best when served straight from the grill as then you get all the SMOKEY SPICEY FLAVOR you have come to love!
We are also including the OFFICIAL guacamole recipe and our FRESH SALSA (one of the most popular recipes on the site).
- 1½ teaspoons GROUND CUMIN or TOASTED CUMIN SEEDS
- 1½ cups WATER
- ¼ cup chopped CANNED CHIPOTLE CHILIES (RINSED)
- 2 cloves GARLIC
- ¼ cup VEGETABLE OIL
- 1½ teaspoons SALT
- ½ teaspoon GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- ½ teaspoon DRIED OREGANO
- 1½ pounds SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGH FILLETS or 1½ pounds NEW YORK STRIP STEAK, SIRLON, FLANK OR SKIRT STEAK.
- OPTIONAL IF TOASTING THE SEEDS: Toast the cumin seeds in a small pan over medium/low heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until fragrant. Be careful not to let them burn or smoke. Remove pan from heat and use a spice grinder or coffee bean grinder to grind into a fine powder.
- Add the water, rinsed chilies and garlic to a blender and blend on high speed for 10 to 15 seconds or until the chilies and garlic are pureed. Add the other adobo ingredients including the ground cumin and blend until just combined (about 5 or 6 seconds)
- Using a meat mallet pound steaks or chicken by placing meat between two pieces of parchment paper (optional but will make a difference in how tender your steak is)
- Add chicken or steak to the marinade in a large bowl or plastic bag. Cover and chill for 16 to 24 hours
- When you are ready to prepare the meat you can cook on a grill OR you can cook on a preheated cast iron pan or skillet on the stove. Rub inside of pan with a tiny bit of vegetable oil and heat pan to hot but NOT smoking.
- Cook the chicken for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Cook the steak for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Allow the chicken or steak to sit for 4 minutes after you remove it from the pan then cut across the grain into strips or bite size pieces.
Chipotle uses Romaine lettuce and Monterey Jack on all their items.
Ready for PICO DE GALLO
Detailed instructions in link above.
SEED THE TOMATOES! REMOVE THE CORE AND CUT ROMA TOMATOES IN HALF VERTICALLY. USE A SPOON TO SCOOP OUT THE SEEDS.
LOOKING FOR GUACAMOLE…Try this Chipotle Copycat recipe!
- 2 ripe HASS AVOCADOS
- 2 tsp LIME JUICE
- 2 tbsp. CILANTRO (leave out if you don't like)
- ¼ cup of DICED RED ONION
- ½ DICED JALEPENO (include seeds)
- ¼ tsp KOSHER SALT
- Choose the right avocado! It should feel squishy yet firm like the palm of your hand. It should have a nice dark green color on the outside but NOT a dark dark overly soft shade of brown or black. It should be firm and squishy!
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit (carefully)
- Scoop out the inside of the avocado from the peel and place in medium bowl
- Toss and coat with lime juice
- Add the salt and using a fork or potato masher, mash until a smooth consistency
- Fold in the remaining ingredients using a rubber spatula
- Chill for at least 30 minutes and taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.