There is no such thing as JUST a chocolate chip cookie….
EVERYONE has something a little different in mind when it comes to their preferences in chocolate chip cookies. Sea salt chocolate chunk? Gooey extra thick and studded with Callebaut semisweet chocolate chips?
Even at home there is no consensus….
WIFE: SOFT BUTTERY THICK THICK THICK CAKE like cookies with a very sensible ratio of semi-sweet chocolate chips to cookie peeking out from under billowy tops. No sea salt of any kind…full stop.
ME: Copious amounts of bittersweet chocolate with a chewy salty sweet thing going on. No cakey cookies.. no billowy tops and GIMME THE SEA SALT!
There is also the PERFECTLY THIN and PERFECTLY CRISP cookie with crispy edges a chewy center and just the right amount of chocolate chips.
I have several versions of chocolate chip cookies I can make but this one is definitely a favorite. It’s easy to make and cranks out tons of cookies and is very very middle of the road in terms of chocolate chip cookies. If you want the chips to maintain their shape and have that classic cookie look then always use Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips.
A few tips before you begin…
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds. The butter should be melted but NOT hot.
- The dough should not be sticky. If it is sticky add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until you are able to roll the dough into a ball in your hand and it feels smooth
- Use a small cookie scoop to measure these out onto the cookie sheet.
- do not overbake as they will finish baking on the hot cookie sheet when you pull them from the oven.
- This makes quite a few cookies…..In between baking the batches keep the dough in fridge.
Do you really want me to bore you with pictures? Maybe a few but just for fun as these are easy to make.
This is but just the beginning of the Chocolate Chip Cookie road. I have plenty more versions to share.