Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
What if I told you the most decadent Macaroni and Cheese you could ever make contained only 3 ingredients?
Butter? Fancy Dry Mustard? Bread crumbs? Paprika?
None of the above!
I know you are thinking it MUST have something else but in this case it just doesn’t… because simple is good. Really good! I should warn you up front that this Mac and Cheese recipe is a “special occasion dish” and NOT for the faint of heart.
You make this when it’s negative 20 degree’s outside and you haven’t seen the sun in weeks.
When you can’t imagine what 4 more weeks of Winter looks like.
When you need the most extreme comfort food on the planet. Then and ONLY then do you pull this recipe out!
First we need to do some cheese gazing. Just take a look….
Say Uncle and I’ll stop…
Ok just ONE more because I can’t resist.
Ok let’s get to it…. Shall we?
On medium high heat add 3 cups of heavy cream to a medium/large saucepan and let it reduce by 1/3.
It should take about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
Cook Macaroni in boiling water (al dente) for 6 minutes and drain. Next add the cooked macaroni to the already reduced cream in saucepan and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon to avoid macaroni sticking to bottom and add the cheeses.
Add 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of EACH cheese mix and stir. After you add all the cheese the sauce should begin to thicken.
Remove saucepan from heat and spoon macaroni mixture into individual baking dishes or one large dish.
Mix the remaining shredded cheeses together and add to top. Now to the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes.
Turn each dish at least once while in the broiler.
When you pull it from the broiler it will have this nice crispy Au Gratin top! TASTY!!!
DINNER IS SERVED!!
- ½ pound of Elbow Macaroni cooked Al Dente (Exactly 6 minutes)
- 1 cup of Jarlsberg Shredded
- 1 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano Shredded
- 3 cups of White Cheddar Shredded
- 3 cups of heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shred cheese. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Cook elbow macaroni Al Dente drain and set aside
- Add 3 cups of heavy cream to medium saucepan and cook on medium high heat. Stir occasionally with wooden spoon until cream is reduced by about ⅓ (about 5 minutes)
- Reduce heat to medium and add cooked elbow macaroni to saucepan. Let macaroni simmer for 1 minute on medium heat in pan.
- add ½ to ¾ cup of each type of cheese and let your sauce begin to thicken. Stir with wooden spoon as necessary.
- after mixture thickens remove saucepan from heat and spoon macaroni mixture into individual size oven-proof baking dishes
- Add the remaining shredded cheese to top of macaroni
- Place oven rack near top of stove (each stove is different) and turn oven to broil.
- Broil the macaroni in oven safe individual serving dishes for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn dish at least once while in oven to ensure that the crust forms evenly across the top.